Friday, June 5, 2009

Train Woes

A note about the overnight train, which we are still on….

I forgot to tell you about my suitcase. I love my suitcase. It was a undergrad graduation gift. It has four wheels so I can pull it like a normal suitcase, or I can pull it sideways. It’s great.

Well, on the way here, one of the wheels broke off. I didn’t even notice; somebody following me out of the plane told me about it. Down to three wheels. At the airport I went to the bathroom, and when I came back Mark had ripped off another wheel for some completely un-understandable reason. Two wheels. This is sort of annoying, but not a huge deal. I can still pull it like a normal suitcase, it just doesn’t stand up on its own- I have to lean it on something. Well, yesterday in Baden-Baden I was a little rough with it, and one of the remaining wheels popped off. So now my poor little suitcase only has one wheel. Which means poor little me has to carry it everywhere. It’s not super heavy- maybe 40 pounds or so- but after awhile it does get to be heavy, and it’s definitely uncomfortable to carry, especially when you only have a few minutes to catch the train. And you have other bags you’re lugging around, and a husband too.

The trains are, for the most part, easy to figure out. They only stop at most stations for a couple of minutes, and once the doors shut there is no reopening them- if you miss it, you are out of luck. We were waiting for the train last night after I posted- we gave ourselves PLENTY of time since it was our first overnight train and we weren’t sure what to expect. We had assigned beds and weren’t sure how to find them. The trains are unbelievably punctual here, and it was one minute before our train was due to leave and it was nowhere to be found. We were getting a little worried. Also, the electronic signs at the stations usually say the trains ultimate destination. This sign had two- Prague, where we were going, and also Berlin. No clue what that’s about.

The train gets there and we rush to get on. Our assigned car is 266 and we boarded on car 277. As we go towards the front of the train, the numbers decrease, so that’s where he headed. This is annoying. You are walking down narrow aisles full of sleeping people, me while carrying my suitcase, all while the train jostles you about like a drunkard. Well we get to car 270 and that’s it- the front of the train. No where else to go. We then notice all these signs that say stuff about Berlin. At this point I had, as Mark stated it, worked myself into a frenzy. I was not happy and was convinced we were on the wrong train. This would be an absolute disaster and would totally ruin our next day.

Mark left me there with the baggage while he went to find the conductor. He eventually came back and said that the train would be splitting at some point in the night, and that the cars towards the back of the train would be going to Prague. Mark and I jumped off at the next stop and started running towards the back, but I got nervous that the train would leave without us, so I made us get back on to find our seats. Annoying again. We eventually did find our car and our beds. After we learned how to lock up our luggage, all was good. We climbed into our beds- they are tight, six in a room- but comfortable. Our stranger roommates were quiet and did not give us any problems. We both got a good night’s sleep and are now looking forward to a day in Prague. And to getting off the smelly train.

2 comments:

  1. So, that exact same thing happened to my sister and I. The train was supposed to split and we got onto the wrong one and had to RUN to get to the right one when it stopped. We took an overnight train once too.....it's an experience, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete